Monday, October 31, 2011

Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy

When I was in high school, I read a book that was so inspirational to me, called "Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy" by Geralyn Lucas, which was later turned into a movie. This woman's story opened my eyes to what the world believes being a woman means. Wearing lipstick is probably the second most feminine characteristic identified with being a woman right after breasts. The book encourages women to not look at the removal of breast as taking away your womanhood.  The lipstick made her feel confident and brave enough to have the mastectomy. The author believes that women do stuff for beauty that is way more painful than a mammogram. Check out her Breast Cancer Awareness PSA video.


I think this video is just as great as the book. Visit the website http://www.whyiworelipstick.com/ and see their OBGYN regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Reading List

Real Time Web Analytics